beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: April 2009 : The Inner Light
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:57 am 

Have thanks: 15 time

Just thought this would make a great challenge, since it is one of those obscure Beatle tracks and a great raga rock classic. Just think Bollywood meets George Harrison and you all should have a fun time working this one out! :wink:

(Bollywood : is the informal term popularly used for the Mumbai-based Hindi language film industry in India)

The Inner Light : " is a song written by George Harrison that was first released by The Beatles as a B-side to "Lady Madonna". It was the first ever Harrison composition to be featured on a Beatles single. The lyrics are a rendering of Chapter 47 in the Laozi's tao te ching, the foundational book of Taoism. It is also available on the Beatles' compilation albums Rarities and Past Masters, Volume Two.

The Beatles' recording of this song features lead vocals from Harrison and brief backing vocals from John Lennon and Paul McCartney (mono version only). The instrumental track was recorded in Bombay, India, during the sessions for Harrison's Wonderwall Music (a soundtrack album), during January 1968.

Personnel
George Harrison: lead vocals
John Lennon: harmony vocals
Paul McCartney: harmony vocals
Sharad Gosh: shenai
Hariprasad Chaurasia: flute
Ashish Khan: sarod
Mehapurush Misra: tabla, pakhavaj
Rij Ram Desad: harmonium

For anyone who would like a basic stereo instrumental track to work with:
http://rapidshare.com/files/215979255/The_Inner_Light_-_stereo_backing_track.aiff

For further song information:
http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/til.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
Excellent choice Sir, one of my favourite songs.
I have remixed this before, several years ago. Then, i put it with "Stan" by Eminem, it was one of my first mashes that semi-worked.
I had a feeling you were going to choose "Piggies", that'll be for another time now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:37 pm 

MP3J wrote:
Excellent choice Sir, one of my favourite songs.
I have remixed this before, several years ago. Then, i put it with "Stan" by Eminem, it was one of my first mashes that semi-worked.
I had a feeling you were going to choose "Piggies", that'll be for another time now.

Thanks MP3J! Ummmm .... Piggies is a wonderful song, however I would have chosen Long, Long, Long, before that one. Good luck to all! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Long Long Long is just so quiet! Great song though.
Not one i've ever attempted.
....Ready to post a tune very soon!

Last edited by MP3J on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quite simply done, stretched and repitched George to fit, and edited out a quite large section from the middle of the instrumental.

Here... http://mp3j.synthasite.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

:(
i had 99.9% finished a second track, a really really nice one.....then damned Audition 3 crashed again.
A restart recovered only about 1% of what i'd done.
I hate Audition 3...it has some nice features, but it's so crash happy. I don't know why i bother using it.....Audition 1.5 Forever!

And if you're wondering how come i have done two tracks already....well i'm on a one day working week for the forseeable future!....There's just NO WORK! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:03 am 

MP3J wrote:

Quite simply done, stretched and repitched George to fit, and edited out a quite large section from the middle of the instrumental.

Here... http://mp3j.synthasite.com/

This was a tricky job, George's vocals did sound almost like it was lifted from a demo as it has that "studio run through" effect being re-pitched as it was. The background instrumental was very "The Fool" as I can see that group of artists skipping around the Apple Boutique along Pattie Boyd slithering down the runway in their designed costume. Pleasant mix :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:07 am 

MP3J wrote:
Long Long Long is just so quiet! Great song though.
Not one i've ever attempted.
....Ready to post a tune very soon!

I almost envision a mash between "Long, Long, Long" and "Blue Jay Way" with a little of "Only A Northern Song" sprinkled in for good measure :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:12 am 

MP3J wrote:
i had 99.9% finished a second track, a really really nice one.....then damned Audition 3 crashed again.
A restart recovered only about 1% of what i'd done.
I hate Audition 3...it has some nice features, but it's so crash happy. I don't know why i bother using it.....Audition 1.5 Forever!

And if you're wondering how come i have done two tracks already....well i'm on a one day working week for the forseeable future!....There's just NO WORK! :(

Sometimes sticking with a older version of a software program is a good thing, as you know it inside out and your system may work a lot better without all the constant upgrades that software companies seem to throw at you! Keep up the spirit about more work, the sooner you say there is none the quicker it may arrive and then you miss not having the free time :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Well i re-did my "lost" track.
It turned out differently of course, it was bound to, but i like it, so you can have it now.

So here's The Inner Light done my way, :lol:
It has George's vocal, samples from the tune, 4 different drum samples, indian flavour samples, spoken samples, and a little mp3j trickery.

here.... http://mp3j.synthasite.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:50 am 

MP3J wrote:

Well i re-did my "lost" track.
It turned out differently of course, it was bound to, but i like it, so you can have it now.

So here's The Inner Light done my way, :lol:
It has George's vocal, samples from the tune, 4 different drum samples, indian flavour samples, spoken samples, and a little mp3j trickery.

here.... http://mp3j.synthasite.com/

What a beautiful chanting, tribal opus! The travel to inner spirituality is something that would definitively bring a smile to George's face, from the spoken word segments mixed with vocals and "Hare Krishna" templers which were very well done!! I my inner eyes and ears this is one of your finest works yet! I'm so overjoyed at what you've have created. Perhaps, just perhaps, a little of "Raga Ravi" surfacing throughout would be nice touch. Still a wonderful constructive execution of this track :D

P.S. Will it be available to download soon :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Thanks OV, glad you liked it.
But can't you download?...i just tried it here and it worked ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:54 pm 

MP3J wrote:
Thanks OV, glad you liked it.
But can't you download?...i just tried it here and it worked ok.

ummm.... the link opens the track in another window but the cut is embedded on the page and won't let me save it :cry: Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Do you right-click and "save as"?...or just click on the link?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:24 am 

[quote="MP3J"]Do you right-click and "save as"?...or just click on the link?

Good God, what a lame *** I'am sometimes, I'm always looking for the download link, and it was there under my nose all this time :oops: Thanks Major, it's downloading as I write this while scraping the egg off my frontal lobe! Hopefully someone else will join in on the party here with the both of us :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:44 am 
Site Admin

:) ok , no problem, glad to be of help.

Post subject: Inner Man
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:06 pm 

Have thanks: 41 time

More challenging than it first appeared, but here it is. The union of the Material and the Spiritual George Harrison.

More for the real GH fans than for 21st century hip-hoppers, I'm afraid. Even the sitar players struggle to keep up with the gruelling 120 beats-per-minute tempo, and Ringo bravely covers up his limited skills on Bongo (or some other Indian drum).

Enjoy !

http://bdj.podomatic.com/entry/2009-04- ... 1_27-07_00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Nice effort BDJ, good idea to bring together the material and spiritual GH. :)
Don't you think using just George's vocal over the Taxman backing would be much better?

...i thought Ringo was the only Beatle not to appear on The Inner Light...i may be wrong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:16 am 

MP3J wrote:
Don't you think using just George's vocal over the Taxman backing would be much better?

...i thought Ringo was the only Beatle not to appear on The Inner Light...i may be wrong!

You may be right as he was perhaps spending to much time scourging the whole of London cornering the market for those cans of Heinz baked beans that he was to gorge upon in Rishikesh! :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:31 am 

Perhaps the intro could have have been sampled form "Love You To" but the rock backup from "Taxman" worked well, although a little sluggish in the middle, but very enjoyable for a intriguing attempt to bridge the era of "Revolver" to "SPLHCB" to the single that follows Pepper. Maybe shift to beefing up the bass from "Taxman" and sprinkle more in from "Within and Without You" I assume that is where the tabla was lifted from :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:19 am 

Have thanks: 5 time
Listening to MP3J's mixes for the second time.

I really like how the Soulful Strings version turned out. Very basic but very listenable. Good show.

The second one has quite a very interesting drum loop and the spoken word over it works well too. The chanting is a bit odd in the background when George sings but it doesn't seam terribly out of place.

BDJ - Nice use of Taxman in the background, I think I would have used those beats of emphasis after George's phrases rather than in the middle of his phrases. Overall a nice track.

Might get a chance to work on a track over the weekend. Don't have a clue what I'm going to do yet.

- phattbuzz 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:28 am 

phattbuzz wrote:

I really like how the Soulful Strings version turned out. Very basic but very listenable. Good show.

The second one has quite a very interesting drum loop and the spoken word over it works well too. The chanting is a bit odd in the background when George sings but it doesn't seam terribly out of place.

BDJ - Nice use of Taxman in the background, I think I would have used those beats of emphasis after George's phrases rather than in the middle of his phrases. Overall a nice track.

Might get a chance to work on a track over the weekend. Don't have a clue what I'm going to do yet.

- phattbuzz 8)

I'm sure the clues you'll find will be quite sufficient :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:05 pm 

You may be right, but having spent many nights syncing the sitars, I would like to keep them in........ :D

MP3J wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:08 pm 

Thanks ! So it's a tabla ? has a nice 'whoosh' sound to it. is indeed from Within/Whitout you.

One Virgin wrote:
Perhaps the intro could have have been sampled form "Love You To" but the rock backup from "Taxman" worked well, although a little sluggish in the middle, but very enjoyable for a intriguing attempt to bridge the era of "Revolver" to "SPLHCB" to the single that follows Pepper. Maybe shift to beefing up the bass from "Taxman" and sprinkle more in from "Within and Without You" I assume that is where the tabla was lifted from :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:11 pm 

yeah, I thought earlier about moving those beats, but am too lazy; now, it is just the full run of the back ing track of Taxman. Moving the beats, means splicing it up, because the chord changes should stay where they are. I really need Geoff 'take 18" Emerick......

phattbuzz wrote:

- phattbuzz 8)