beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Hey Bulldog - Unique Song Straddles Eras !
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:54 pm 

Have thanks: 20 time
Ok, bear with me for the setup here, it's all good n' premonitionary too.

Has it even been a full week since a Googley search for some Fab cover-version info took a turn which led me here to this Remixers Mecca ?
( Macca Mecca ? )
A good real-life friend had even mentioned this site when 1st telling me about the RockBand mogg files just a couple weeks ago, and both those things are about to converge in my tale.

So I joined up here, and posted a topic for "Evolver" & 2 other Fab sample-pieces of mine.
( multipily-masherfied-t883.html )
Within, like, hours I had responses & FaceBook friend seekage from TjT & MP3J man... and TjT n' I have been serving 2 or 3 delightful/insightful emails to n' fro each day.

Among many other things, he pointed me to a fine place to get those 1st 22 mogg files.
The drum tracks from "Walrus" soon had me hearing an overlay of vocals from "Hey Bulldog"
( Ooh ! ... "I am The Bullmogg" ?!
Don't steal this idea !! )

So.... last night, which had already been brimming with little psychic moments of "uncanny captioning", I'm returning from dropping someone in my suburban cab out in Flushing, Queens.
"Hmm", I thinks, "time for tuneful music... been awhile since I had MyPod shuffle all songs... let's see which of 25,000 + it serves up first"
...... twas "Hey Bulldog"

Geez !, get a cosmic blessing much ?!

Now, this finally brings us to our topic's title which I'd love to see discussed :
Prior to Bulldog's creation & release The Fabs had their period of ornate & colorful production. This was followed, of course, by the "back-to-basics" of the more naturalistic "White Abbey Be" albums.
"Hey Bulldog" is the unique blend of each. It's a "rocker" like "I Feel Fine" with the fanciful production of "Sgt. Pepper's Mystery Tour" !
Sure... "Revolver" tracks like "And Dr. Robert Can Sing" show the ramping up to it all, but Bulldog is in full flower.
Yes ?
Discuss :

Post subject: Re: Hey Bulldog - Unique Song Straddles Eras !
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 93 time
well, even on the White Album, some tracks like Birthday and Back In The USSR were basic rockers as well! So I don't think they ever really left that style.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:11 pm 

Have thanks: 41 time
I like Hey Bulldog a lot, I think it is underrated in the Beatles catalogue (and by the Fabs themselves). It is perhaps 'unique' in the sense that it was really put together 'on the fly', no second thoughts, and - most importantly - no fussing by Macca with Lennons' raw stuff (or George's solo).

I think I attempted to interpret the lyrics somewhere, not sure if I did. I could try if someone is intersted.

I agree with you that 'coincidence is an illusion'; just as your Ipod landed on Hey Bulldog, so Lennon's mind landed on the lyrics.

And it's a hell of a Rocker ! Ringo's drumming is at its best (with the thumping bass (?) drum in the second half.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

I think it was "unfortunately placed" on the Yellow Submarine soundtrack [and in the US, that part of the movie was cut out too]! It would be more of a standout if it had been placed differently on a more complete album of new material.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:05 pm 

Have thanks: 20 time
TJT wrote:
well, even on the White Album, some tracks like Birthday and Back In The USSR were basic rockers as well! So I don't think they ever really left that style.

Indeed. But what I'm sayin' is "a basic rocker with the production of Pepper & Mystery Tour".
There !, you helped me say it simply and concise. :o

Sure, "Good Morning Good Morning" is a rocker, but it's got that "Victorian sheen", while "Birthday and Back In The USSR" are already on the "back-to-basics" part of the curve.

"Hey Bulldog" is the only song that's like "Day Tripper" meets "Baby, You're a Rich Man".

( "Baby, You're a Trip, Man" ?? . . . ya' gettin' to work on that already ? )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

maybe those can be considered LSD rockers? LOL!