beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]



Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:01 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm
Posts: 1447
Has thanked: 57 time
Have thanks: 93 time
One Virgin wrote:

although it seem that the Radiohead track took over the bulk of the cut :?


Well, actually, originally it took up the whole track. The main idea I had was can I use this little bit of guitar and use it completely on a different track without vocals of Beatles, so it just kind of seemed like a Beatle sat in on the Radiohead session. But, then, well, didn't seem Beatles enough, so I added some bits. The vocals would be nice, but I didn't get any good vocal extractions. If there is a good pella of this, someone please post it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:02 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm
Posts: 1447
Has thanked: 57 time
Have thanks: 93 time
MP3J wrote:
The video for Happiness Is A Warm Salmon is done,
and can be viewed here... http://www.virb.com/2724244392714762/videos/57873

or here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEHrz50jHT8

or WMV downloaded here... http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tkqk5mtnrlz


wow, crazy stuff there!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 am
Posts: 1239
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
Image

Happiness Is A Warm Gun v I Am The Walrus
So who would have thought a Salmon would evolve into a Walrus?! :lol:
This track uses the same backing as my "Happiness Is A Warm Salmon", but mixed diffferently.
mp3 here... http://www.virb.com/2724244392714762
Watch the vid here... http://www.virb.com/2724244392714762/videos/57964
or here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIPm0YqLA8M
mp3/wmv package here... http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ktiem1ngt4j


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
MP3J wrote:
Image

Happiness Is A Warm Gun v I Am The Walrus
So who would have thought a Salmon would evolve into a Walrus?! :lol:
This track uses the same backing as my "Happiness Is A Warm Salmon", but mixed diffferently.
mp3 here... http://www.virb.com/2724244392714762
Watch the vid here... http://www.virb.com/2724244392714762/videos/57964
or here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIPm0YqLA8M
mp3/wmv package here... http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ktiem1ngt4j


The surrealism of both songs lend them an air of discord, although highly provocative .... thanks for the second re-mix :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: January 2009 - Happiness is a Warm Gun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:59 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm
Posts: 1447
Has thanked: 57 time
Have thanks: 93 time
[quote="One Virgin"]Happy New Year all! I'll "jump the gun" here by suggesting the sultry, sexy, surreal composition "Happiness is a Warm Gun". The tune has everything to rock your socks off, the sultry vocals may have inspiration to mash from the following sultry Lennon vocals from "Girl", "Your Gonna Lose That Girl", "No Reply", "Don't Let me Down", "If I Fell" "I'll Get You" just to name a few :wink:

Image

Lennon once claimed the song was "sort of a history of rock and roll," as it features five different sections but is less than three minutes long. The song begins with a brief lilting section ("She's not a girl who misses much..."). Drums, bass and distorted guitar are introduced as this portion of the song proceeds. The surreal imagery from this section is allegedly taken from an acid trip that Lennon and Derek Taylor experienced, with Taylor contributing the opening lines.[1] After this, the song transitions into a Lennon song fragment called "I Need a Fix," built around an ominous-sounding guitar riff. This section drifts into the next section, a chorus of "Mother Superior jumped the gun."

The final section is a doo-wop send up, with the back-up of vocals of "bang, bang, shoot shoot." The song's multiple sections inspired Radiohead's three part "Paranoid Android" on OK Computer.

One of the most radical musical accomplishments of the song is its frequent shifts in meter. Beginning in 2/4 time, the song shifts to 3/4 time on "which he gave and donated to the national trust" and to 6/8 time for the guitar solo in the "I need a fix..." section. This gives way to 6/8, 3/4, and 4/4 measures in the "Mother Superior..." section before returning to 4/4 for the majority of the doo-wop style ending. During Lennon's spoken-word interlude, the song briefly switches into 6/4. The spoken word section has its roots in the song later on the album "I'm So Tired" because, exhibited in the song's home demo, is a spoken word section in 6/4 time that is almost exactly like the one in "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

According to Lennon, the title came from the cover of a gun magazine that producer George Martin showed him: "I think he showed me a cover of a magazine that said 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.' It was a gun magazine. I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something.

Many different interpretations of the song have been offered down the years. It has been said that, in addition to the obvious reference mentioned above, the "Warm Gun" could also allude to Lennon's sexual desire for Yoko Ono (meaning an erect *****) and also to his well documented problems with heroin at the time of the recording of The White Album (in this case, the gun being a loaded syringe, although Lennon claims to have snorted, rather than injected, heroin during the time that he used the drug).

"Happiness Is a Warm Gun" is Paul McCartney's favorite song on the White Album. Although tensions were high among the band during the album's recording sessions, they reportedly collaborated as a close unit to work out the song's challenging rhythmic and meter issues, and consequently considered it one of the few true "Beatles" songs on the album.


BTW, I enjoy the introductions you give!

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Happiness Is The Madmen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:45 pm
Posts: 13
Location: Shanklin Isle Of Wight UK
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
I havent posted in a while but here's my go for this month's challenge
Happiness Is The Madmen - The Beatles And David Bowie
Image

A mix of Bowie's All the Madmen
With Happiness is a warm gun, It also contains some of The Fool on The Hill.

Bowie has said that the song All the Madmen was written for and about his half brother, Terry, a schizophrenic and inmate of Cane Hill mental institution (hence the picture of the beatles at Cain Hill)
The song has been described as depicting "a world so bereft of reason that the last sane men are the ones in the asylums"

Enjoy :wink:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtzmjjwomzn[/url]

_________________
I'm just a Child Of Nature
I dont need much to set me free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happiness Is The Madmen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
childofnature wrote:
I havent posted in a while but here's my go for this month's challenge
Happiness Is The Madmen - The Beatles And David Bowie
Image

A mix of Bowie's All the Madmen
With Happiness is a warm gun, It also contains some of The Fool on The Hill.

Bowie has said that the song All the Madmen was written for and about his half brother, Terry, a schizophrenic and inmate of Cane Hill mental institution (hence the picture of the beatles at Cain Hill)
The song has been described as depicting "a world so bereft of reason that the last sane men are the ones in the asylums"

Enjoy :wink:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtzmjjwomzn[/url]


Welcome Back!

Very interesting selection of tunes to mix, John and David's vocals at the start needs to be separated slightly as they clash a little and then after the spoken word interlude from Bowie, the volume needs to remain with the intensity as when the passage started. All in all a unique collage that pays homage to the origins within the original very playfully. The cover art is perfectly play out too :D

P.S. The Fool on the Hill vocal made this White maniac smile with intent :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: January 2009 - Happiness is a Warm Gun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
[quote="terminusj"][quote="One Virgin"]Happy New Year all! I'll "jump the gun" here by suggesting the sultry, sexy, surreal composition "Happiness is a Warm Gun". The tune has everything to rock your socks off, the sultry vocals may have inspiration to mash from the following sultry Lennon vocals from "Girl", "Your Gonna Lose That Girl", "No Reply", "Don't Let me Down", "If I Fell" "I'll Get You" just to name a few :wink:

Image

Lennon once claimed the song was "sort of a history of rock and roll," as it features five different sections but is less than three minutes long. The song begins with a brief lilting section ("She's not a girl who misses much..."). Drums, bass and distorted guitar are introduced as this portion of the song proceeds. The surreal imagery from this section is allegedly taken from an acid trip that Lennon and Derek Taylor experienced, with Taylor contributing the opening lines.[1] After this, the song transitions into a Lennon song fragment called "I Need a Fix," built around an ominous-sounding guitar riff. This section drifts into the next section, a chorus of "Mother Superior jumped the gun."

The final section is a doo-wop send up, with the back-up of vocals of "bang, bang, shoot shoot." The song's multiple sections inspired Radiohead's three part "Paranoid Android" on OK Computer.

One of the most radical musical accomplishments of the song is its frequent shifts in meter. Beginning in 2/4 time, the song shifts to 3/4 time on "which he gave and donated to the national trust" and to 6/8 time for the guitar solo in the "I need a fix..." section. This gives way to 6/8, 3/4, and 4/4 measures in the "Mother Superior..." section before returning to 4/4 for the majority of the doo-wop style ending. During Lennon's spoken-word interlude, the song briefly switches into 6/4. The spoken word section has its roots in the song later on the album "I'm So Tired" because, exhibited in the song's home demo, is a spoken word section in 6/4 time that is almost exactly like the one in "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

According to Lennon, the title came from the cover of a gun magazine that producer George Martin showed him: "I think he showed me a cover of a magazine that said 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.' It was a gun magazine. I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something.

Many different interpretations of the song have been offered down the years. It has been said that, in addition to the obvious reference mentioned above, the "Warm Gun" could also allude to Lennon's sexual desire for Yoko Ono (meaning an erect *****) and also to his well documented problems with heroin at the time of the recording of The White Album (in this case, the gun being a loaded syringe, although Lennon claims to have snorted, rather than injected, heroin during the time that he used the drug).

"Happiness Is a Warm Gun" is Paul McCartney's favorite song on the White Album. Although tensions were high among the band during the album's recording sessions, they reportedly collaborated as a close unit to work out the song's challenging rhythmic and meter issues, and consequently considered it one of the few true "Beatles" songs on the album.


BTW, I enjoy the introductions you give!


Your welcome, I just thought a little background would help to lubricate the imagination :wink:

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happiness Is The Madmen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:45 pm
Posts: 13
Location: Shanklin Isle Of Wight UK
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
One Virgin wrote:
childofnature wrote:
I havent posted in a while but here's my go for this month's challenge
Happiness Is The Madmen - The Beatles And David Bowie
Image

A mix of Bowie's All the Madmen
With Happiness is a warm gun, It also contains some of The Fool on The Hill.

Bowie has said that the song All the Madmen was written for and about his half brother, Terry, a schizophrenic and inmate of Cane Hill mental institution (hence the picture of the beatles at Cain Hill)
The song has been described as depicting "a world so bereft of reason that the last sane men are the ones in the asylums"

Enjoy :wink:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtzmjjwomzn[/url]


Welcome Back!

Very interesting selection of tunes to mix, John and David's vocals at the start needs to be separated slightly as they clash a little and then after the spoken word interlude from Bowie, the volume needs to remain with the intensity as when the passage started. All in all a unique collage that pays homage to the origins within the original very playfully. The cover art is perfectly play out too :D

P.S. The Fool on the Hill vocal made this White maniac smile with intent :wink:



Thanks One Virgin, :lol:
yeah i had trouble with that vocal at the start, I tryed it with just John at first but it diddint sound right so i added David back into the mix to try and fill in the gap, i may work on it some more.
its been a fun mix to make though. 8)

_________________
I'm just a Child Of Nature
I dont need much to set me free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
In hearing this mystery track below, I'm slightly convinced that this may be a nice foundation for a warm gun :wink:

http://rapidshare.com/files/179550042/mystery_guest.mp3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happiness Is The Madmen
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
childofnature wrote:
One Virgin wrote:
childofnature wrote:
I havent posted in a while but here's my go for this month's challenge
Happiness Is The Madmen - The Beatles And David Bowie
Image

A mix of Bowie's All the Madmen
With Happiness is a warm gun, It also contains some of The Fool on The Hill.

Bowie has said that the song All the Madmen was written for and about his half brother, Terry, a schizophrenic and inmate of Cane Hill mental institution (hence the picture of the beatles at Cain Hill)
The song has been described as depicting "a world so bereft of reason that the last sane men are the ones in the asylums"

Enjoy :wink:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vtzmjjwomzn[/url]


Welcome Back!

Very interesting selection of tunes to mix, John and David's vocals at the start needs to be separated slightly as they clash a little and then after the spoken word interlude from Bowie, the volume needs to remain with the intensity as when the passage started. All in all a unique collage that pays homage to the origins within the original very playfully. The cover art is perfectly play out too :D

P.S. The Fool on the Hill vocal made this White maniac smile with intent :wink:



Thanks One Virgin, :lol:
yeah i had trouble with that vocal at the start, I tryed it with just John at first but it diddint sound right so i added David back into the mix to try and fill in the gap, i may work on it some more.
its been a fun mix to make though. 8)


Your welcome, perhaps and this is just a suggestion if you shorten the intro and sample words form both singers without full verses and jet right into "fool on the hill" that may make a bridge for usage later on :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: January 2009 - Happiness is a Warm Gun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 712
Location: http://bdj.podomatic.com
Has thanked: 42 time
Have thanks: 41 time
[quote="One Virgin"]

According to Lennon, the title came from the cover of a gun magazine that producer George Martin showed him: "I think he showed me a cover of a magazine that said 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.' It was a gun magazine. I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something.

Many different interpretations of the song have been offered down the years. It has been said that, in addition to the obvious reference mentioned above, the "Warm Gun" could also allude to Lennon's sexual desire for Yoko Ono (meaning an erect *****) and also to his well documented problems with heroin at the time of the recording of The White Album (in this case, the gun being a loaded syringe, although Lennon claims to have snorted, rather than injected, heroin during the time that he used the drug).



Thanks for the intro to HIAWG. It is a bit of a mixed bag, which seems to hang together for some reason. I tend to think that the meaning of most Lennon songs can be unravelled, just as I showed for his poetry. In this case, most psychiatrists will probably confrim the suggesetd organic intepreation of the 'gun' in the song. this also fits the "Mother superior jump the gun' refrain, since Lennon often referred to Yoko as 'Mother'. Evokes an image I try ban from my mind......

The first part is less easy to interpret, because of the interfence from others (Taylor). I read somewhere that they wrote down memories from their visit to Los Angeles, such as the lizard on the windowpane, and the man with mirrors on his boots (to look under girl's skirts) was an actual newspaper clip. hence, this section is more a 'mr Kite' text, that does not say much about Lennon or anytging in particular, except for setting the slightly threatening mood.

The "I need a fix" can be nothing else than a drug reference, can't think of any other reasobale interprteation. What puzzles me is the 'bits' that he left 'uptown'. Bits of what ? Or was this meant to be '*****', which would link this pasage to the following section ?

(and yes, I'm working on a remix, but it takes ages to get all the timing issues straitghened out).

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: January 2009 - Happiness is a Warm Gun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
[quote="BDJ"][quote="One Virgin"]

According to Lennon, the title came from the cover of a gun magazine that producer George Martin showed him: "I think he showed me a cover of a magazine that said 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.' It was a gun magazine. I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something.

Many different interpretations of the song have been offered down the years. It has been said that, in addition to the obvious reference mentioned above, the "Warm Gun" could also allude to Lennon's sexual desire for Yoko Ono (meaning an erect *****) and also to his well documented problems with heroin at the time of the recording of The White Album (in this case, the gun being a loaded syringe, although Lennon claims to have snorted, rather than injected, heroin during the time that he used the drug).



Thanks for the intro to HIAWG. It is a bit of a mixed bag, which seems to hang together for some reason. I tend to think that the meaning of most Lennon songs can be unravelled, just as I showed for his poetry. In this case, most psychiatrists will probably confrim the suggesetd organic intepreation of the 'gun' in the song. this also fits the "Mother superior jump the gun' refrain, since Lennon often referred to Yoko as 'Mother'. Evokes an image I try ban from my mind......

The first part is less easy to interpret, because of the interfence from others (Taylor). I read somewhere that they wrote down memories from their visit to Los Angeles, such as the lizard on the windowpane, and the man with mirrors on his boots (to look under girl's skirts) was an actual newspaper clip. hence, this section is more a 'mr Kite' text, that does not say much about Lennon or anytging in particular, except for setting the slightly threatening mood.

The "I need a fix" can be nothing else than a drug reference, can't think of any other reasobale interprteation. What puzzles me is the 'bits' that he left 'uptown'. Bits of what ? Or was this meant to be '*****', which would link this pasage to the following section ?

(and yes, I'm working on a remix, but it takes ages to get all the timing issues straitghened out).

Yes I do beleive a lot of Lennon's lyrics came from lyrical sketeches in his head and though snippets from the mouths of friends and enimies, she said, she said :wink: Number Nine was such a word play amoung the finest there is, you just have to pay attention and sometimes listen backwards :D

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
Here is a jazzy, film noir instrumental cover version to tinker with :wink:

http://rapidshare.com/files/181718174/Happiness_Is_a_Warm_Gun_Bobby_Bryant.mp3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 712
Location: http://bdj.podomatic.com
Has thanked: 42 time
Have thanks: 41 time
Image

Here is straight remix of Happiness. Included some bits form take 7, and filtered out some other stuff. Soundscape different, and brings out some features that are a bit drowned out in the relased version.

This remix came up while I was working on a 'real' remix/mash. This ran into trouble, now have 8 tracks to synchronise, so we may be in the challenge for February by the time I fonsih it.....

Listen in BDJ's Cellar:

http://bdj.podomatic.com/entry/2009-01- ... 6_22-08_00


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
BDJ wrote:
Image

Here is straight remix of Happiness. Included some bits form take 7, and filtered out some other stuff. Soundscape different, and brings out some features that are a bit drowned out in the relased version.

This remix came up while I was working on a 'real' remix/mash. This ran into trouble, now have 8 tracks to synchronise, so we may be in the challenge for February by the time I fonsih it.....

Listen in BDJ's Cellar:

http://bdj.podomatic.com/entry/2009-01- ... 6_22-08_00



Yes indeed, the soundscape moves from stereo to mono sound quite nicely! In hearing your reconstruction, I hear a tint of the fairground organ from "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" although just a hint :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 712
Location: http://bdj.podomatic.com
Has thanked: 42 time
Have thanks: 41 time
It took them 60+ takes to record it, so might be a number of instruments buried in the mix. I can't recognise the fairground organ, but I think the organ at the start of Happiness, could be the same instrument that Martin called the 'tooty organ' in Mr Kite. Can find very little about this organ in Happiness, except that the overdubs (organ, piano, tuba, extra vocals) were recorded on sept 25, after the song had basically been completed the previous two days.

So who played the organ ? My guess is Paul, or perhaps Chris Thomas (the engineer)? George Martin wasn't there, so he is the only one we can eliminate ! I stick with Paul, since John apparently didn't like and did not include it in the final mix. But the evidence is thin......

NB my re-mix is stereo throughout, but I did centre the vocals in the doo-wop section.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Happiness is a Huge Melody
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 712
Location: http://bdj.podomatic.com
Has thanked: 42 time
Have thanks: 41 time
Image

Well, this is my last shot at happiness (...). It ended up as more of a mash-up than a remix, but it's the tought that counts; in this case, re-sequencing Happiness IAWG with parts of the B-side of Abbey Road. Lennon-McCartney had the advantage that they could produce short interludes to transition one into the other, but I gave it my best shot (...) anyway.

listen at BDJ's Cellar:

http://bdj.podomatic.com/entry/2009-01- ... 5_33-08_00


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
suspicion-preferred