beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]



Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: January 2009 - Happiness is a Warm Gun
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
Happy New Year all! I'll "jump the gun" here by suggesting the sultry, sexy, surreal composition "Happiness is a Warm Gun". The tune has everything to rock your socks off, the sultry vocals may have inspiration to mash from the following sultry Lennon vocals from "Girl", "Your Gonna Lose That Girl", "No Reply", "Don't Let me Down", "If I Fell" "I'll Get You" just to name a few :wink:

Image

Lennon once claimed the song was "sort of a history of rock and roll," as it features five different sections but is less than three minutes long. The song begins with a brief lilting section ("She's not a girl who misses much..."). Drums, bass and distorted guitar are introduced as this portion of the song proceeds. The surreal imagery from this section is allegedly taken from an acid trip that Lennon and Derek Taylor experienced, with Taylor contributing the opening lines.[1] After this, the song transitions into a Lennon song fragment called "I Need a Fix," built around an ominous-sounding guitar riff. This section drifts into the next section, a chorus of "Mother Superior jumped the gun."

The final section is a doo-wop send up, with the back-up of vocals of "bang, bang, shoot shoot." The song's multiple sections inspired Radiohead's three part "Paranoid Android" on OK Computer.

One of the most radical musical accomplishments of the song is its frequent shifts in meter. Beginning in 2/4 time, the song shifts to 3/4 time on "which he gave and donated to the national trust" and to 6/8 time for the guitar solo in the "I need a fix..." section. This gives way to 6/8, 3/4, and 4/4 measures in the "Mother Superior..." section before returning to 4/4 for the majority of the doo-wop style ending. During Lennon's spoken-word interlude, the song briefly switches into 6/4. The spoken word section has its roots in the song later on the album "I'm So Tired" because, exhibited in the song's home demo, is a spoken word section in 6/4 time that is almost exactly like the one in "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

According to Lennon, the title came from the cover of a gun magazine that producer George Martin showed him: "I think he showed me a cover of a magazine that said 'Happiness Is a Warm Gun.' It was a gun magazine. I just thought it was a fantastic, insane thing to say. A warm gun means you just shot something.

Many different interpretations of the song have been offered down the years. It has been said that, in addition to the obvious reference mentioned above, the "Warm Gun" could also allude to Lennon's sexual desire for Yoko Ono (meaning an erect *****) and also to his well documented problems with heroin at the time of the recording of The White Album (in this case, the gun being a loaded syringe, although Lennon claims to have snorted, rather than injected, heroin during the time that he used the drug).

"Happiness Is a Warm Gun" is Paul McCartney's favorite song on the White Album. Although tensions were high among the band during the album's recording sessions, they reportedly collaborated as a close unit to work out the song's challenging rhythmic and meter issues, and consequently considered it one of the few true "Beatles" songs on the album.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:24 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm
Posts: 1447
Has thanked: 57 time
Have thanks: 93 time
Good track to choose! I haven't attempted anything with this since the BRG White Album remix. Let's hope I have a better inspiration for it this new year than the December one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:36 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 am
Posts: 1239
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
I can only recall two HIAWG mash-ups.
The Dangermouse one on the Grey Album, and a DJ BC Beastles track....i smell one or two more on the way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
Good luck to you both! The "Inner Light" was a strong second in my choice but then again with the white multi-tracks being somewhat available I'm sure it will be a easier if not a provoking challenge :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:07 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm
Posts: 1447
Has thanked: 57 time
Have thanks: 93 time
One Virgin wrote:
with the white multi-tracks being somewhat available


What's this? what multi-tracks from the white album?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
terminusj wrote:
One Virgin wrote:
with the white multi-tracks being somewhat available


What's this? what multi-tracks from the white album?


Perhaps I've misunderstood the method of multi-tracks :oops
Please explain :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 190
Has thanked: 6 time
Have thanks: 5 time
One Virgin wrote:
Perhaps I've misunderstood the method of multi-tracks :oops
Please explain :D


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitrack_recording

- phattbuzz 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
phattbuzz wrote:
One Virgin wrote:
Perhaps I've misunderstood the method of multi-tracks :oops
Please explain :D


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitrack_recording

- phattbuzz 8)


Thank you for leading me to an explanation :D I beleive I was confusing these discs of White Material with being Multi-Tracks :oops:


http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=TWAC-1&section=1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 190
Has thanked: 6 time
Have thanks: 5 time
Ok - not a mashup here - Just me doing a multi-tracked version.

Image

http://phattbuzz.podomatic.com/

-= phattbuzz 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
phattbuzz wrote:
Ok - not a mashup here - Just me doing a multi-tracked version.

Image

http://phattbuzz.podomatic.com/

-= phattbuzz 8)


Wonderful piano arrangement, a true cover version ! Thanks for sharing :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 190
Has thanked: 6 time
Have thanks: 5 time
One Virgin wrote:
Wonderful piano arrangement, a true cover version ! Thanks for sharing :D


Many thanks, One Virgin. Thought this would be a fun one to do a cover of. Should have a bit more time in January after New Years Eve. My band doesn't have any gigs scheduled after that until January 30th.

- phattbuzz 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:35 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm
Posts: 1447
Has thanked: 57 time
Have thanks: 93 time
That was a fun one, phattbuzz, you made the song (am I allowed to say it?) groovy! In many ways a "downer" kind of song, and you manage to make it upbeat and fun! Thanks for the post!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:39 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm
Posts: 1447
Has thanked: 57 time
Have thanks: 93 time
Since I don't have those secret multitracks of the White Album that One Virgin is hoarding ( ;) ),
I tried to use the monitor mix guitar....

Planet Happiness Fix

http://patamixicalscience.podomatic.com

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:41 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 am
Posts: 1239
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
@ Phattbuzz....i love that, very nice! :smile:

@ terminus.... doesn't quite do it for me, sorry.
I think the "spacey" intro is nice, and a few parts work quite well , but not enough to convince me.

Two entries already, one on the way from me, and the month is not even started! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:54 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 am
Posts: 1239
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
Image

Quite probably the silliest bootleg ever!
Chemical Brothers' "Salmon Dance" acapella mixed with you know what, with percussion by moi.
There may well be a vid to accompany this too.

http://www.virb.com/2724244392714762/music/albums/78544


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
MP3J wrote:
Image

Quite probably the silliest bootleg ever!
Chemical Brothers' "Salmon Dance" acapella mixed with you know what, with percussion by moi.
There may well be a vid to accompany this too.

http://www.virb.com/2724244392714762/music/albums/78544



Pretty humorous! Was that the little walrus laughing said the carpenter to the pie? The bluesy hook works in so many ways from TJT's to this one, remember to perhaps sample John Cleese slapping Michale Palin with a fish in the video :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:15 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 am
Posts: 1239
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
Hahaha! yes! the Python sample would work well.
And yes, that snippet was culled from Walrus.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
terminusj wrote:
Since I don't have those secret multitracks of the White Album that One Virgin is hoarding ( ;) ),
I tried to use the monitor mix guitar....

Planet Happiness Fix

http://patamixicalscience.podomatic.com

Image


Yes that was a spacey start, the vocal pairing complemented each other well, although it seem that the Radiohead track took over the bulk of the cut :? Oh and check Ebay soon for a nine cassette dubbed collection of White Album Multi-Tracks lifted from May Pang's purse while she was smooching with Lennon at the Troubadour :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 190
Has thanked: 6 time
Have thanks: 5 time
MP3J - Happiness is a Warm Salmon - Lots of fun. :P

TJT - Planet Happiness Fix - I think this one works pretty well too. Has a nice heavy edge to it. :D

- phattbuzz 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:54 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 am
Posts: 1239
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
The video for Happiness Is A Warm Salmon is done,
and can be viewed here... http://www.virb.com/2724244392714762/videos/57873

or here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEHrz50jHT8

or WMV downloaded here... http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tkqk5mtnrlz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 190
Has thanked: 6 time
Have thanks: 5 time
Image

Ok here's a mashup - Righteous Brothers vs Beatles. Went for the main theme on this one.

http://phattbuzz.podomatic.com/

- phattbuzz 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
phattbuzz wrote:
Image

Ok here's a mashup - Righteous Brothers vs Beatles. Went for the main theme on this one.

http://phattbuzz.podomatic.com/

- phattbuzz 8)



Well, it certainly has a drunken kind of doo-wop flavor going :lol: The good part is that the vocals were melded just right, although not much of a chained melody showed though, but hell after a few New Years Eve swigs and you'll be singing a octave higher than Johnny Boy :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
MP3J wrote:
The video for Happiness Is A Warm Salmon is done,
and can be viewed here... http://www.virb.com/2724244392714762/videos/57873

or here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEHrz50jHT8

or WMV downloaded here... http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tkqk5mtnrlz




John's spastic "let it be" movements worked very well in your video, all that fish and chips can rest heavy on the bladder :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 190
Has thanked: 6 time
Have thanks: 5 time
One Virgin wrote:
John's spastic "let it be" movements worked very well in your video, all that fish and chips can rest heavy on the bladder :wink:


Quite agree with your statement about John's hand movements. Looks like he's going all hippy-hop! :wink: The video is quite a bit of fun.


One Virgin wrote:
Well, it certainly has a drunken kind of doo-wop flavor going :lol: The good part is that the vocals were melded just right, although not much of a chained melody showed though, but hell after a few New Years Eve swigs and you'll be singing a octave higher than Johnny Boy :wink:


It does sound like a drunken soiree! Well, I won't be drinking much on New Year's Eve since I'll be playing with my band - plus we're getting a bit of a snow storm up here tomorrow and my van is harder to handle under those conditions.

- phattbuzz 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 14 time
Have thanks: 15 time
phattbuzz wrote:
One Virgin wrote:
John's spastic "let it be" movements worked very well in your video, all that fish and chips can rest heavy on the bladder :wink:


Quite agree with your statement about John's hand movements. Looks like he's going all hippy-hop! :wink: The video is quite a bit of fun.


One Virgin wrote:
Well, it certainly has a drunken kind of doo-wop flavor going :lol: The good part is that the vocals were melded just right, although not much of a chained melody showed though, but hell after a few New Years Eve swigs and you'll be singing a octave higher than Johnny Boy :wink:


It does sound like a drunken soiree! Well, I won't be drinking much on New Year's Eve since I'll be playing with my band - plus we're getting a bit of a snow storm up here tomorrow and my van is harder to handle under those conditions.

- phattbuzz 8)


Well it's good that you'll take it lightly on the beverages this year, after all you've got to perform and keep one step ahead of the crowd! Have a great performance and most of all drive carefully ... don't forget the snow may have a mind all it's own :wink:

P.S. Perhaps the Lennon vocals can be used along with your piano treatment from your own multi-tracks :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
suspicion-preferred