beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:09 pm 

Have thanks: 41 time
Nope, I'm not offended, you'll need to try harder.

Struck me in your track how John tells these half-true stories about his parents and 'Auntie', while on virtually all other subjects he is embarrisingly honest. A mystery, that perhaps, one day, will be revealed here:

http://csi-beatles.podomatic.com/

Now, still work in progress, but already quite unnerving.........

MP3J wrote:

I find this a little disturbing! hope nobody is too offended!

MP3J-ToxygeneMother.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:06 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 93 time
BDJ wrote:
A mystery, that perhaps, one day, will be revealed here:

http://csi-beatles.podomatic.com/

wow, more than I have time for today, but great to see this site. You should have announced it sooner (or did I miss it?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:22 am 
Site Admin

MP3J wrote:

I find this a little disturbing! hope nobody is too offended!

MP3J-ToxygeneMother.mp3

I thought it was pretty terrific! I am not sure what you thought the objection would be....

Good one! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
BDJ wrote:
Nope, I'm not offended, you'll need to try harder.

Struck me in your track how John tells these half-true stories about his parents and 'Auntie', while on virtually all other subjects he is embarrisingly honest. A mystery, that perhaps, one day, will be revealed here:

I don't think he was meaning to be dishonest, just trying to be concise and not wanting to take up too much time on the subject. I doubt that he would have thought that almost 40 years later, people would be interested!
It was just a brief background he was giving to the TV audience. And anyway, even John didn't know the whole truth of his history.....shame on you Mimi!

Post subject: Mother's Radio
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:48 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Mother's Radio - John Lennon And Queen
My Contribution to this month, its been a hard one to do but i think its worked ok.

i'v used the live version of mother from Madison Square Garden as the piano is quieter.

Then the backing from Queens Radio ga ga
And some samples from she audience effects on sgt pepper

http://www.mediafire.com/?ym4tzwwtgj4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

A brave attempt childofnature, the chord clashes are a bit much for me though, but your timing seems fine.
I think it would work if you looped the Queen beats through Mother...and embellished with the pepper effects...you don't have to worry about keys/chords with just the beats! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:05 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
MP3J wrote:
A brave attempt childofnature, the chord clashes are a bit much for me though, but your timing seems fine.
I think it would work if you looped the Queen beats through Mother...and embellished with the pepper effects...you don't have to worry about keys/chords with just the beats! :wink:

Thanks MP3J, Yeh i might give it anonther go with the loops as you said. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:45 am 
Site Admin

Radio GaGa was the "jump the shark" moment for Queen as a band to me, but that is ok. Good timing on the track in my book. But agree with MP3J, sounds a bit clashy, but who am I to judge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:35 pm 

Guess TJT's track inspired me to give it another go. Took one of my favourite instrumental tracks, Bootie Cooler, by Shuggie Otis. Had the record (LP...) decades ago, lost it ca 25 years ago, but the song stayed in my mental jukebox. Happens I don't need an ipod, I can play almost any track in my head, after hearing it once or twice. Can I perform in the circus now ?

Anyway, I came across a new CD of Shuggie's greatest hits, and now have Bootie Cooler in a sound quality I never heard before. Recommend to give it a listen (and other Shuggie tracks), if you can.

This was the first opportunity to use it in a remix, and seems to fit OK (except for one or two occasions where Lennon is slightly out of key....).

As ususal, found in:

http://bdj.podomatic.com/entry/2008-10- ... 7_18-07_00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:54 am 

Have thanks: 15 time
BDJ wrote:

Guess TJT's track inspired me to give it another go. Took one of my favourite instrumental tracks, Bootie Cooler, by Shuggie Otis. Had the record (LP...) decades ago, lost it ca 25 years ago, but the song stayed in my mental jukebox. Happens I don't need an ipod, I can play almost any track in my head, after hearing it once or twice. Can I perform in the circus now ?

Anyway, I came across a new CD of Shuggie's greatest hits, and now have Bootie Cooler in a sound quality I never heard before. Recommend to give it a listen (and other Shuggie tracks), if you can.

This was the first opportunity to use it in a remix, and seems to fit OK (except for one or two occasions where Lennon is slightly out of key....).

As ususal, found in:

Booker T. & the M.G.'s meet's Bobbie Gentry's Ode To Billy Joe (Lennon) or is that Blind Lemon Lennon Peel :wink: ... kind of has that smokey honky tonk bar feeling to this classic cut :D
I do think that sampling Lennon's "Mother" vocals to a soul cut works the best so far 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, i like BDJ's idea too...but myself...i can't use a pella that sounds so "extracted".
A perfect example is at the end of the current WTF mix....uncredited in the tracklist. The instr and pella sounded fantastic......but not for long...the pella deteriorates, so i just faded it quickly, and i await a better version to finish it. I just added the track at the end as a teaser, because it could be a great track...so frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

strange, I downloaded it, and there was no sound at all. But obviously you all got it. Well, try again....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:08 pm 

Thanks ! yeah, it does have a Booker T-like Groove to it, don't know how he does it. Suppose someone could try 12-bar Original.............

One Virgin wrote:
BDJ wrote:

As ususal, found in:

Booker T. & the M.G.'s meet's Bobbie Gentry's Ode To Billy Joe (Lennon) or is that Blind Lemon Lennon Peel :wink: ... kind of has that smokey honky tonk bar feeling to this classic cut :D
I do think that sampling Lennon's "Mother" vocals to a soul cut works the best so far 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:10 pm 

Works here.... Suggest you format your C-disk, and re-install Vista :lol:

terminusj wrote:
strange, I downloaded it, and there was no sound at all. But obviously you all got it. Well, try again....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:12 pm 

You're hard to please..... but I take comfort in the observation that I seem to have got the timing right this time :cry:

MP3J wrote:
Yeah, i like BDJ's idea too...but myself...i can't use a pella that sounds so "extracted".
A perfect example is at the end of the current WTF mix....uncredited in the tracklist. The instr and pella sounded fantastic......but not for long...the pella deteriorates, so i just faded it quickly, and i await a better version to finish it. I just added the track at the end as a teaser, because it could be a great track...so frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

BDJ wrote:
You're hard to please..... but I take comfort in the observation that I seem to have got the timing right this time :cry:

MP3J wrote:

yeah i know, i blame GYBO. That's where i was "brought-up" re-mixing.
If you think i'm tough...go post it over there!

All the "boots" that i first heard and fell in love with, were intended for playing out in clubs etc....so they had to be 100% spot-on. I never intend any disrespect in my comments, and i absolutely hate being negative, but at the same time i believe in being honest.
There's no point telling everyone their tracks are always great when they aren't.....nobody will improve that way.
The old GYBO forums have gone now....but when i was a regular poster there, the vast majority of my posts were positive, and when they were negative they were constructive. If i heard a bad track, i generally wouldn't comment at all....but i can't do that here...the community is too small.
I've had more than my fair share of negative comments....and mostly they were deserved...i know that now, but at the time it hurt.
I can't listen to most of my early mixes now because i hear every fault imaginable, so those comments helped me, and i'm still learning now...6 years on!
I'm not expecting everyone to be GHP, (hell....i wasn't impressed by his last set of releases!)....but i like to be able to listen comfortably.
My comment about the "extracted" feel of your track was just my taste...others may find it perfectly listenable, but me....when a track is like that i find it really hard to hear the parts integrated with each other.
Also...this month's song is one of those tracks that is almost impossible to remix.
You can't get a decent extraction of voice or music...and there are precious few setions that can be lifted to loop.
The only way to get a really good track out of "Mother", is to keep everything....or big chunks of it....and add new beats and/or instruments.
So i think what people have done so far is pretty good considering...i'm just saying that i don't like extracted pellas that sound as if they are extracted! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:55 pm 

Txs, yes, your comments have always been constructive, and helped me a lot to get better.

For me, I take most pleasure out of the idea of combining songs, and thus creating Something New. I know that the production of the final track is not my strong point; I blame it on lack of time and technical skills !

So, I am quite happy to post my contributions here, I don't pretend to produce TTANE etc. quality tracks all the time. And pls continue to give your honest opinions, I can only learn from them ! :P

MP3J wrote:
BDJ wrote:

MP3J wrote:

yeah i know, i blame GYBO. That's where i was "brought-up" re-mixing.
If you think i'm tough...go post it over there!

All the "boots" that i first heard and fell in love with, were intended for playing out in clubs etc....so they had to be 100% spot-on. I never intend any disrespect in my comments, and i absolutely hate being negative, but at the same time i believe in being honest.
There's no point telling everyone their tracks are always great when they aren't.....nobody will improve that way.
The old GYBO forums have gone now....but when i was a regular poster there, the vast majority of my posts were positive, and when they were negative they were constructive. If i heard a bad track, i generally wouldn't comment at all....but i can't do that here...the community is too small.
I've had more than my fair share of negative comments....and mostly they were deserved...i know that now, but at the time it hurt.
I can't listen to most of my early mixes now because i hear every fault imaginable, so those comments helped me, and i'm still learning now...6 years on!
I'm not expecting everyone to be GHP, (hell....i wasn't impressed by his last set of releases!)....but i like to be able to listen comfortably.
My comment about the "extracted" feel of your track was just my taste...others may find it perfectly listenable, but me....when a track is like that i find it really hard to hear the parts integrated with each other.
Also...this month's song is one of those tracks that is almost impossible to remix.
You can't get a decent extraction of voice or music...and there are precious few setions that can be lifted to loop.
The only way to get a really good track out of "Mother", is to keep everything....or big chunks of it....and add new beats and/or instruments.
So i think what people have done so far is pretty good considering...i'm just saying that i don't like extracted pellas that sound as if they are extracted! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:19 am 
Site Admin

BDJ wrote:

MP3J wrote:

TJT to the rescue!

I thought this was pretty terrific of a mix myself! Great combination, great timing, I liked it a lot.

But I do also know what MP3J means as well, the pella is a bit muted. If we had the actual vocal, this mix would have been perfect! I tried to make a Mother pella too, but it didn't sound so hot. That is why I went the other route of adding guitar, but the "guitar pella" has those artifacts as well. [When posting on a whim, I in hindsight should have done my original idea of Michelle, why I didn't I am not sure]. I was under the assumption that there was a full pella of this from the DVD as I remember MP3J using Mother in a WTF before, and liked it a lot. So, my bad on that one. In fact, if you read most of the reviews of my latest mixes from MP3J, it is in fact those artifact sounds he dislikes in most of my mixes. I am not sure how to get around that, except to not use the ideas. So, I guess I realize the imperfections and go ahead anyways, no problem. I don't discount what MP3J says in any way. In fact, yes, his criticisms have helped me immensely. I keep improving little by little. Doesn't mean I quite get it right (pitching, extracting), but that is ok. You all get your money's worth (free!) There are some other songs in here on the forum I am not so fond of either, I don't mean to be critical either, but feel obligated to at least comment. Often, for me, the one criticism of MP3J's stuff is that I don't like the things mashed together, i.e., I don't like the song he is mashing to. No problem, just a matter of taste. And the same with a few other things in here as well. Just not my taste, doesn't mean "bad".

So, anyways, I think your mix was good.

Too bad I picked a song that didn't interest some of our other regulars in here. I guess it was a learning experience. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:43 am 

Have thanks: 63 time
mp3j-Very edgy,yet appealing.Found that the more it went on,the more I became accustomed & liked it.

bdj-John sounds so lonely here,more than normal.Very well-spotted combo.Despite john's timing,it was well-recieved by me.

tjt-Turned my head around in a good way.So well-spotted,you amaze me.

mp3j-orb.Very enthralling to me.I liked it much.

con-A few key clashes,but overall,I liked it.Actually,the key clashes especially on 'you didn't need me' fit john's anguish.

Will listen to the last track when podomatic comes back from maintenance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:53 am 
Site Admin

MP3J vs John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
featuring added percussion, and Sam Riley as Ian Curtis, (from the film "Control").

http://mp3jpart2.podomatic.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:17 am 
Site Admin

MP3J wrote:

MP3J vs John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
featuring added percussion, and Sam Riley as Ian Curtis, (from the film "Control").

http://mp3jpart2.podomatic.com/

wow, very effective, kind of eerie, and sad, and yet uptempo, but not really, I am not sure how to describe what I think, I liked this one a lot!!!! :D

Great job, this one will stay with me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:04 am 
Site Admin

thanx...but i did my usual trick of mixing on heaphones and then posting immediately....i'll tidy it up a touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

new mix..and slightly rearranged, sorry for the inconvenience....and it's a flac.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ymnoj4wjddm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:34 pm 

MP3J wrote:
thanx...but i did my usual trick of mixing on heaphones and then posting immediately....i'll tidy it up a touch.

Is there any other way ? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

well, i really should learn to be more patient, and wait until i can hear it properly before posting!