beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:50 pm 

Have thanks: 41 time
terminusj wrote:
BDJ wrote:
You're hard to please..... but I take comfort in the observation that I seem to have got the timing right this time :cry:

MP3J wrote:
Yeah, i like BDJ's idea too...but myself...i can't use a pella that sounds so "extracted".
A perfect example is at the end of the current WTF mix....uncredited in the tracklist. The instr and pella sounded fantastic......but not for long...the pella deteriorates, so i just faded it quickly, and i await a better version to finish it. I just added the track at the end as a teaser, because it could be a great track...so frustrating.

TJT to the rescue!

I thought this was pretty terrific of a mix myself! Great combination, great timing, I liked it a lot.

But I do also know what MP3J means as well, the pella is a bit muted. If we had the actual vocal, this mix would have been perfect! I tried to make a Mother pella too, but it didn't sound so hot. That is why I went the other route of adding guitar, but the "guitar pella" has those artifacts as well. [When posting on a whim, I in hindsight should have done my original idea of Michelle, why I didn't I am not sure]. I was under the assumption that there was a full pella of this from the DVD as I remember MP3J using Mother in a WTF before, and liked it a lot. So, my bad on that one. In fact, if you read most of the reviews of my latest mixes from MP3J, it is in fact those artifact sounds he dislikes in most of my mixes. I am not sure how to get around that, except to not use the ideas. So, I guess I realize the imperfections and go ahead anyways, no problem. I don't discount what MP3J says in any way. In fact, yes, his criticisms have helped me immensely. I keep improving little by little. Doesn't mean I quite get it right (pitching, extracting), but that is ok. You all get your money's worth (free!) There are some other songs in here on the forum I am not so fond of either, I don't mean to be critical either, but feel obligated to at least comment. Often, for me, the one criticism of MP3J's stuff is that I don't like the things mashed together, i.e., I don't like the song he is mashing to. No problem, just a matter of taste. And the same with a few other things in here as well. Just not my taste, doesn't mean "bad".

So, anyways, I think your mix was good.

Too bad I picked a song that didn't interest some of our other regulars in here. I guess it was a learning experience. :)

It's a bird, it's a plane, no it's Super TJT !

Txs, no worries, I'm cool with the reviews. Timing is off in some places, does not bother me as much as others. I just didn't have the patience to cut up the vocal track and shift the pieces back and forwards. Those skilled in the art, will notice that I basically play Mother against the backing track without much cutting up.

Reading MP3J's later remark, I confess I do tend to rush my remixes out. Because I want to start on the next one! Will try to go for 99% instead of 90% quality, and appreciate your help in getting (and staying....) there !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:25 pm 

Have thanks: 5 time
BDJ wrote:
MP3J wrote:
thanx...but i did my usual trick of mixing on heaphones and then posting immediately....i'll tidy it up a touch.

Is there any other way ? :P

I heard a long time ago never to do any final mixing with headphones (back in the day when we we're using analog studios to make demo tapes for our bands). I've proven this to myself a few times over the years too. You may think you have a great mix coming from the headphones - but once you hear it on the mains - it sounds really bad. You may have over/undercompensated for an item or two. I whole-heartedly recommend that when you get down to the final mix - take off the headphones and mix through your system's speakers.

As far as speakers go, if you only have a two speaker system, look into getting a set of speakers with a subwoofer - they can be found in good quality for under $100US. Of course the best way to go is with a good clean amplifier and a set of flat monitor speakers - but they are much more expensive.

- phattbuzz 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:37 am 

Have thanks: 63 time

I couldn't bear to tamper much with the lennon track,but I
added some loops of orbits' track live in virtual dj program,
then mastered it in ableton.
It's really emotional so watch out for that.

http://groovytimewithdjuseo.blogspot.co ... on-vs.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:38 am 

Have thanks: 63 time
bdj-Your b-side I liked a lot.Really changes the entire feel of the track.Sure,I'd like a better vocal extraction,yet it has much to like still.
Good 1.

Mp3j-the newest mother from you is a very nice take.No probs with the flac here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:50 pm 

dj konrad useo wrote:

Actually, this works really well. a bit of dramatc back-drop to the simple piano part. the chord changes are a somewhat atonal, but not annoying to my ears. Even a nice little triplet drop at the start of the chorus.

And: A suitable Ending !

I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:54 am 

Have thanks: 15 time
BDJ wrote:
dj konrad useo wrote:

Actually, this works really well. a bit of dramatc back-drop to the simple piano part. the chord changes are a somewhat atonal, but not annoying to my ears. Even a nice little triplet drop at the start of the chorus.

And: A suitable Ending !

I like it.

Not to sure about the "suitable ending", perhaps crashing ocean waves may have been a better way out. Adagio for Strings was a excellent choice, although a classical rendition and the demo of Lennon's vocals may be another haunting track to shed a tear to. Thanks for the mix!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:35 am 

dj konrad useo wrote:
bdj-Your b-side I liked a lot.Really changes the entire feel of the track.Sure,I'd like a better vocal extraction,yet it has much to like still.
Good 1.

Mp3j-the newest mother from you is a very nice take.No probs with the flac here.

Thanks for the comments, glad you like it. Best I can do in quality of vocals, the Mother recording doesn't lend itself to much messing about, although it sounds quite simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:00 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 93 time
dj konrad useo wrote:

yeah, I thought this worked well, too! very eerie sound, but very powerful!
good one!

Turns out we've had some pretty good contributions for a difficult song!