beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: pod0matic oddity
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:09 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
hello all!

i hope you will not be put off by the length of my new mashup. surprises all through. don't miss out!

anyway, with a file that big comes a very interesting observation over at pod0matic.

The file is 76:37 on my home machine and on rapidshare, too. I am satisfied that they posted a faithful copy of what I have (which certainly bears its fair share of mp3 degradation and general manipulation syndrome, sonic artifacts, etc.

BUT here's the thing: when i posted this file over at pod0matic, it clocks in at over 84 minutes, and the degradation is much worse. It sounded frankly unlistenable after having worked on it so much.

I was appalled at how much the upload there changed my file! The size stayed the same, but what would account for the change in time? Do they use an inadequate sampling rate, etc.?

It is a bit upsetting, because I like pod0matic in many other ways. But they do not seem totally reliable to me at the moment. Can anyone explain how or why this weird elongation and simultaneous degradation might have occured there? Is it just that they expect smaller files, and for single songs they are fine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
Podomatic recently "upgraded" it's site and whole operation.
Since then i have been unable to upload there at all!
I have heard from others that the site now adds a generic message to all the uploads, so that probably accounts for the added length.
The MyPodcast site that i tried out does a similar thing.

I'm currently using Virb.com as my host, but i don't know how much storage and bandwidth you are allowed....they never state figures!
The only downside i have found with Virb so far is that only 5 tracks show up per page/album "player". Consequently you have to add a new "album" once you have uploaded 5 tracks to your initial album.