beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Where is the line drawn on processing..?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:29 pm 

Have thanks: 2 time
(Sorry if this question belongs in another part of the web site...)

When it comes to mash-up/remix "etiquette", how far can one go to make something "work". I'm guessing it's okay to chop up instrumental tracks to make the chords work better with a vocal (or vice-versa). What about changing the pitch of either to make it work? I know it's probably fine to transpose an entire song to fit with another song, but what about changing individual chords, or even individual notes in a vocal? What about Melodyne software (especially now that it has DNA to change individual notes within chords)?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Post subject: Re: Where is the line drawn on processing..?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 93 time
Well, I would say making something work is in the ear of the beholder. MP3J, for example, has had massive changes in pitch and tempo that have worked just fine, and other examples that just hurt the ears. I am not so good at these major alterations, myself. But I have trouble deciphering keys properly anyways, as I have not proper musical training.

But to me it works if it sounds good to my ears. That is why some of my own stuff works great to me, but not to others! LOL!

I am not familiar with Melodyne software, maybe you can give more description of that!

Post subject: Re: Where is the line drawn on processing..?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
Anything goes!
If you like it....great.
It's all a matter of taste.
There are thoise that totally dislike mash ups and prefer to remix a song very subtly. Personally, i prefer a more radical approach, mixing genres, and making a song very very different to it's original.
If you have the ability to completely change a song's individual notes and create something totally new....fine!
I'll just say that if the changes you make sound natural and unforced....then you've succeeded.

Melodyne is something that i don't feel qualfied to use, i struggle with pitch all the time, so it would be dangerous and frustrating for me to use! It would be very interesting to hear what you're capable of doing by changing the tune/melody within a song.....there are many people who do it....but right now, it's a little too complicated for me!
I'm not musically trained, everything i do is ad-hoc and "by ear", so i'm bound to get things wrong occaisionally....or more than occaisionally!!
Musical theory is not my strength, i feel my strengths lie in timing and the ability to create a backing track from loops and samples.
Test us out....post a tune that you've changed the melody to fit something else, and we'll let you know!