beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: How about a "It's so Hard" alternate King Curtis sax mix ?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:18 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
How about a John Lennon "It's so Hard" - alternate king Curtis sax mix ? :?: :?:

well, it's not exactly a monthly challenge, but a mix of John Lennon's "It's So Hard" I've always loved to hear since the MOGGs of Imagine came out, but I don't have the skills to do it meticulously and perfectly like You Guys, (and girls :-) from beatleremixers...

Whereas a very early take of Gimme Some Truth surfaced on HMC "Oddities", "It's So Hard" is still one of the track of Imagine from which just 1 alternate take exists :
the take we can find on all "Imagine" alternate album since Vigotone's first CD "Imagine - the sessions" came out, a take without saxophone.
and that's all...

I've bought yearrrrs ago the Vigotone "Imagine... More Session Tapes" but I don't have listened to this title that much... too many never-ending How Do You Sleep rehearsals... :oops: :)

that's just recently that I've discovered again the nice King Curtis overdubs sax sessions of It's so Hard (Sax overdub (rec. New York City, 7/4/71)

There a very nice short moment when John demonstrates on acoustic It's So Hard, playing it just on acoustic guitar, humming some nanaaaa naaa, how he would like that King Curtis plays sax on it, and on this short acoustic demo, there's some nice sax riffing by King Curtis.

on the following tracks, we can hear King Curtis riffing before the firt pass; so it's a warm-up, we don't hear the playback track.

Since it's a warmup, some King Curtis riffing are more "free staïle", ad-lib than the official version.
When I realized that most of these riffs can be cut and isolated, I thought that it would be great to create a mix of "IT'S SO HARD" with a lot of King Curtis riffing - just like if a plain-mix of "It's So Hard" with alternate sax had surfaced.
The tricky stuff (which it's too difficult for me) is to make perfectly synch all the King Curtis sax riffs to each John Lennon's line... so that the sax synchs when John's singing and punctuates each lines sung by John.

now that the MOGGs of "It's So Hard" is out, it's easy to re-created the basic track you want :
- just bass-guitar-drums-vocals

it would be great to have a piano part right in front of the mix, because during the "but when it's good it's oh so good and when i hold you in arms baby sometimes i feel like going down" section, it reminds me "Just Like Starting Over".

what you'll need :
the "It's So Hard" Mogg

and CD 2 of Vigotone's "John Lennon - Imagine... More Session Tapes"
http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?na ... &section=2

Vigotone [VT 186] 1999
http://vigotone.com/vigotone/vigotone185-186.htm

If you are interested, please PM and I'll be happy to up for you the King Curtis sax overdubs sessions from this Vigotone CD.

and sorry for my odd English, but I'm French (I know this is not an excuse... :-)

Post subject: Re: How about a "It's so Hard" alternate King Curtis sax mix
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:17 am 

Have thanks: 15 time
Dear A, Great Idea ... hopefully the pros here will prove such a wonderful mash for all our Xmas ears to hear!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:50 pm 

Have thanks: 41 time

Hope you like it.

In BDJ's Cellar Full of Remixes:
http://bdj.podomatic.com/entry/2012-11-28T13_46_20-08_00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:02 am 

so fast and so amazing! :)
you did great ! wow!

So, according to your comments on your pod page you synch it with the Vigotone "Imagine - the sessions" take of "It's So Hard" (not the MOGGs) ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:30 pm 

Have thanks: 41 time
Thanks !

That's what I did. Guess I'm lazy...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:20 pm 

Have thanks: 15 time
It sounds diferent, but what is the tiny split second "oop" voice that comes in with King's sax?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:04 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 93 time
I actually did a version of It's So Hard very shortly ago that I never released yet.

It takes the instrumental demo version and then I added the vocals and King Curtis sax and orchestration to the demo version.

You can listen here:

http://patamixicalscience.podomatic.com ... 0_42-08_00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:24 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 93 time
BDJ wrote:

Hope you like it.

In BDJ's Cellar Full of Remixes:
http://bdj.podomatic.com/entry/2012-11-28T13_46_20-08_00

Nice one, BDJ! They are hard tapes to make sound good, so you did a great job! At the same time it is an odd listening experience with the extra horn throughout.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:49 am 

One Virgin wrote:
It sounds diferent, but what is the tiny split second "oop" voice that comes in with King's sax?

my 2 cents, it has certainly something to do that there wasn't a lot of King Curtis sax riffs available on Vigotone "Imagine...More Sessions Tapes" that were perfectly isolated...
some great riffs have John on acoustic guitar, demonstrating the song to King Curtis; and when he stops playing guitar, he comments the riffs and chat...
then the other tracks are each passes of the sax overdubs, so we can hear the "It's so Hard" tape playing in the background. I'm sur that between each pass there's one of two ad-lib sax riff by King Curtis, but then again he wasn't alone in the studio; and John was obviously happy.

mind you I'm very happy with this mix, thanks so much BDJ !!! :)

I have to listen again to the Vigotone CD because when King Curtis comes for the overdubs sessions in NY we can hear Lennon saying to King Curtis "we will do first It's So Hard, then we'll do Jealous Guy later..."
this really suprised me...
I've never heard that John intended to overdub sax on Jealous Guy. Unfortunately no trace of such overdubs on "more session tapes" Vigotone; we have just this conversation between John and King Curtis, the It's So Hard sax overdubs, then I Don't Want To Be A Soldier...

my thought is that since John had Kind Curtis here, perhaps he tried "Jealous Guy" too.
After all, he did a whole horns session section for "I'm Losing You" during the Double Fantasy sessions which he never used...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:52 am 

TJT wrote:
I actually did a version of It's So Hard very shortly ago that I never released yet.

It takes the instrumental demo version and then I added the vocals and King Curtis sax and orchestration to the demo version.

You can listen here:

http://patamixicalscience.podomatic.com ... 0_42-08_00

:) wow! I like it ! a great companion to BDJ mix.
I really like how you enlighted the piano at the beginning and during the "when it's good, really good" part...
Rupert Pupkin has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:34 pm 

Have thanks: 3 time
I didn't realize this until the other day but King Curtis died only 2 weeks after doing John's session (was stabbed by someone he asked to move off of his front steps).