beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: BRG14 Tuned To A Natural E Volume 6
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:01 am 

Have thanks: 0 time

Welcome to Volume 6 of “Tuned To A Natural E” brought to you by The Beatles Remixers Group. This expanded 2-CD collection celebrates our fifth year of creating and sharing our remixes.

It has been over a year since the release of Volume 5. With nearly sixty contributions it soon became evident that this set could either be a two-volume set or I could release volumes 6 and 7 concurrently. However, as I started to compile the tracks I found that I could split them rather evenly between remixes and mashups.

I define a mashup as a track that is a mixture of various performances, usually of different songs, mixed together to create a new song or a new version of a song. A remix is much closer to the original performance and if two versions are used, they still closely resemble a single performance. I also found that there were quite a few tracks submitted where the Beatles original vocal lines were laid in over non-Beatles instrumental backings. I refer to these as “blends”, where the Beatles version of a song is blended with another artist’s version.

So as it turned out I was able to put together a 2-CD set with each CD having its own motif. Disc One consists mainly of remixes and Disc Two consists mainly of mashups, with both discs having their share of the blends to balance them out. I think it worked out rather nicely.

Thanks once again to all the contributors, and for your patience in working with me and doing your best to honor my numerous requests for “fine-tuning” your tracks. It is a long and tedious process, but the result as you hear is certainly worth it. Thanks also to BM not only for his contributions to the set, but for the great artwork design and layout. One of the best of the series!

Finally, a special thank you to SB and CC for their support and motivation.

Disc One – The Remixes

1. Intro - CC 0:07
2. I Want To Hold Jimmy's Hand - CC 2:35
3. This Boy - SB 2:03
4. Baby’s In Black - GB 2:20
5. Do You Want To Know A Secret - Ferbeat 2:05
6. That Means A Lot - GB 2:16
7. You Won't See Me - GB 3:18
8. We Can Work It Out - Ferbeat 2:17
9. I Need You - Ferbeat 2:30
10. In My Life - CC 2:41
11. A Day In The Life - Ferbeat 4:29
12. Fool On The Hill - SB 3:44
13. Baby You're A Rich Man - Ferbeat 3:00
14. Revolution - AV & VM 3:20
15. For You Blue - CC 2:27
16. Free as a Bird - GB 4:30
17. I Dig Love - VM 4:55
18. Hi Hi Hi - VM 3:07
19. Instant Karma - VM 3:32
20. Helen Wheels - VM 3:38
21. Art of Dying - SB 3:39
22. Whatever Gets You Through The Night - BDJ 3:26
23. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five - AV 5:31

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disc Two – The Mashups

1. Intro – CC/VM 0:09
2. Rock and Roll Birthday - VM 2:49
3. Drive My What You're Doing Car - GB 2:27
4. Good Day Sunshine Wacky - GB 1:56
5. Yellow Submarine - SB 1:52
6. You’re A Lonely Hearts Club Man - TJT 2:27
7. Fixing To Get Better - SB 4:10
8. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite - Eternal Khaos 2:55
9. Carnival of Lights - BDJ 5:33
10. Sgt. Now - PS 1:53
11. Revolution - GB 3:25
12. Across The Universe - CC 3:26
13. Revolution 1 Ultimate Mix - CC 10:23
14. I Wanna Be Mr. Man - TJT 1:09
15. Let Imagine Be - BDJ 3:26
16. Beware of Darkness - VM & SB 3:55
17. Take Me To That Place (Each Saturday Night) - Ferbeat 3:11
18. Women - CC 3:49
19. Gone Are Tomorrow's Days - CC 3:14
20. The Lennon Recollections - BM 8:26
21. The Very Thought Of You - CC 3:32

Liner notes are created from each contributor’s comments about their tracks.

The TTANE series is compiled and produced by VM.

Artwork and design by BM.

cds 1 & 2

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1960908/14720864/

& patch

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1961072/3680216/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:41 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 93 time
very cool, thanks Brendon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:10 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 93 time
192kbps mp3: download from Megaupload at
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TIEQE2Y5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
So many new things to listen to! Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:21 pm 

just played it for the first time. Sounds great, good to hear something
different .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:04 am 

Have thanks: 15 time
Wonderful selections! "Got to get this into my life" :wink:

P.S. One of the most creative covers I've seen for these intriguing compilations 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:09 am 

Have thanks: 41 time
Right, so here's my review of Tuned To A Natural E no 6. In short: It's Great ! I particlularly like that is is such a pleasant listen: you can just play it anytime-anywhere, and there will be something to enjoy. All credit to the editor/producer Veech, for releasing such a well-finished product; and - of course - to the musicians-mixers, who put up so patiently with his comments.....

In a bit more detail; first the Remixes disc:

1: Intro; nice idea, sort of gets the proceedings going, like the orchestra tuning up on Sgt Pepper. I don't think it is mentioned in the (stunningly beautiful) cover art, but this sounds to me like an interview with Berend Boudewijn, a Dutch TV presenter, in the Dutch Treslong TV studios. The interview was done in a room just off stage (where the TV concert was done a bit later). The Beatles answered questions from the teenage audience, some were too hilarious to repeat here. Ringo was having his tonsils out, and Jimmy Nicol filled in very well, also during the interview, see his reply on:

2: Yeah, this performance really comes to life here. Eternal shame that the concert at Blokker was not recorded better; the Beatles play-backed in the TV concert at Treslong. In fact, Dutch Radio and TV had set-up microphones in Blokker to record the 'real' concert. When they heard that they would have to pay 5000 guilders for permission to record and broadcast, they took the microphones down again..... Hard to say what the equivalent of 5000 guilders would be in current money, my rough estimate would be 50000 USD. The worst 50k ever saved.........

3: This Boy should be on any Beatles compilation. Was their 3-part harmony showcase number, performed e.g. on the Ed Sullivan shows. Always a bit cheesy to me, can hardly imagine that Lennon took the lyrics seriously. In my view, he wrote it mostly for the nice screamy bit ("Oh and this Boy, would be happy...."). This mix nicely brings the cheesiness forward, with the muzakky Martin backing.

4: The Hollywood Bowl concerts are among the best sounding surviving concerts (with the Houston concerts). So good to hear this track salvaged with a little remix artistry. For a similarly upgraded track from the Hollywood Bowl, listen to She's a Woman (http://bdj.podomatic.com/entry/2009-03- ... 0_31-07_00).

5: A slight tinge of Norwegian Woodish sitar backing here, while the electric guitar follows the vocals. Close-listening to the Beatles, I get the impression that none of the fab four actually cared much for this song. In fact, I still find it a bit degrading that hey made George sing this track, which is obviously not his cup of tea. While he was in fact a dominant singer in the pre-recording days of the Beatles, and did great R&R tunes. With Santo & Johnny's backing, my opinion is re-inforced; George's voice is even more prominent (and lacking in passion....).

6: A brave attempt to get the most out of That Means A Lot. I agree that the fast version is 'best', so the concept is well found to combine the 2 partial takes into a complete song. Appears that the takes are not perfectly compatible, the transition still stands out; but hey, who complains about the transistions in Strawberry Fields ?

7: A well produced instrumental track of You Won't See Me. Would the title "You Won't Hear Me" have suited better ? Perhaps somnewhat better extraction than the ones on the 'Rubber Soul Recording Sessions Reconstructed", but I still would have liked to hear vocals from some other Beatle track mixed-in.

8: Interesting to hear a slightly different rendering of We Can Work It Out. Sounds a bit stripped down, (and slower?). I seem to remember when I did a remix of WCWIO, that the song accelerates all the way through, which makes it a nightmare to re-mix. So well done, sounds good. What does it sound like without the harmonium overdub ?

9: I really like this one, the I Need You "Naked" version. George now sings right into your (right) ear, hardly any double tracking anymore. The enthusiam for INY from the other fab three sounds minimal. I don't think Lennon was on the track at all, and the backing vocals were lacklustre. So well done to kick that all out and give full focus to George !

10: Stunning remix, of a song that is hard to mix at all. IML is a song that Lennon spoke positively about in later days, one of the few Beatles tracks he ever mentioned. Sort of a pre-quel to Strawberry Fields. I wasn't aware of Moon's version, so great alert as well. Did Mal Evans really produce it, or did he just carry the guitar cases ?

11: A pleasant remix. As far as I can make out, main differences with the Sgt Pepper version are in the intro and outtro. Although we have seen Days in Lives on several TTANE's, I still feel the real killer ADITL is still out there.......

12: Brill idea to sync up the vocals froma different version (Take 4) with the backing track. The percusion is on the same track, so difficult to get the balance right. Would the demo vocal version (also on Anthology, with no percussion) have been an option ?

13: A very transparent remix of this track; brings out details that were drowned out in the released version. I may like this remix better than the released version, but I'm still no fan of this song. I don't think Lennon's 'hate' songs appeal to me; I also wonder who it is about. Lennon wrote about 'people and things' that were relevant to him, or about himself. BYARM appears written in the same vein as 'Mean Mr Mustard' (also note the reference to money, the 'ten bob note up his nose/arse"), so who was this Rich Mr Mustard Man who irritated Lennon so terribly ?

14: A dressed down version of Revolution that I like a lot. Seems that getting rid of Lennon's overdrive guitar actually helps the track; vocals are more direct, and Harrison's guitar (and X's keyboard) contribute more. Agree that Harrison is in great shape here, his guitar work reminds me of his contribution to Hey Bulldog (one of his best solos, IMHO). I suppose he was inspired by a track that conveyed a message, for once.....

15: This FYB clearly rocks more than the Get Back version. Suppose this is the max that can be done with this '12 bar original". Center channel sounds slightly distorted to me, suppose that's due to the Barret tapes.

16: This 'down-mix' of FAAB begins to sound more and more like A Day In the Life, vocals, drums, guitar, piano. Come to think of it, the rising chords in the middle eight are reminiscent of the orchestral outtro of ADITL, the 'whatever happened to...' substitutes for the 'rolled out of bed....'. A suitable re-mix indeed !

17: A powerful sounding version, rightfully emphasizing the guitar parts. I Dig Love too, but for me the musical content of this Harrisong is about right for 2m30, and GH overdid it bit to make it run for 4m55. Same goes for 'Isn't it A pity', in my ears.

18: Sounds a lot like a 'recording Reconstructed' of Hi Hi Hi, well done. Macca in his Rocking chair, you can now hear the sawdust in his voice. For the first time, I now hear a mistake in the bass line, at 2m16 ! Suppose he was pre-occupied doing it like a rabbit. And then he really goes into 'Rockette mode' in the final 30 seconds. Did he think of Tina Turner when he wrote this song ?

19: A nice dressed down version, miraculously bringing out Lennon's vocals. He's got sawdust in his voice here ! (see above). Wonder who played the plinky piano ?

20: Clever, smooth remix. Got rid of the Moog, but HW is still a bit monotonous for my liking.

21: A differently sounding AOD, I like that the guitar part is clearer here. Seems that the horn section is out of key at some places, never heard that before. Still sounds a bit Spectorish, but it is a step up from the ATMP version.

22. Does Lennon really sing "Barack Barack arrives" at 3m17 ?

23 An excellent sounding 1985. Keyboards, bass, drums, and a voice like Macca's, that's all it takes ! (Not quite understand why it goes into a hard days night...).

Post subject: Re: Tuned To A Natural E 6
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:53 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
This sounds wonderful. I would love to listen, but all of the links (Demonoid and Megaupload) all go to error "broken links" pages.

Help please?
--Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mark, i can't check the links at the moment, Demonoid is undergoing maintenance.
I can tell you that Demoinoid is a torrent site that requires membership though.
If you're not a member, pm me.
I don't think TTANE 6 has been uploaded elsewhere as yet.
Maybe TJT can help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:23 am 
Site Admin

The demonoid links are fine...try again ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:40 am 

Thanks for your patience, it's all fine now!
--Mark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:29 am 

TTANE 6 is really fun & great.

Has anybody noted the proliferation of a certain chord progression? I'd call it G-Bm-Em. You hear it in "I read the news today,O boy" and "Living is easy with eyes closed" and many more. Any thought to putting songs together based on such an idea?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:54 am 

Have thanks: 41 time
Mark,

Good idea, not so easy to implement. There is no lack of similar chord progressions, I think 'Bad To Me' contains one of the earliest G-Bm-Em set. But to make the bits and pieces from diferent songs into a coherent track is tricky. But worth a try, I'll give it a shot when I get a brilliant hunch.

Post subject: Re: BRG14 Tuned To A Natural E Volume 6
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:06 pm 

oh man i wanna hear this so bad! someone needs to go sitewide and replace all the links!