beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Hunter Davies' Beatles Biography
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:45 am 

Have thanks: 41 time
Came across this recent BBC programme featuring Hunter Davies. Brings back memories..... I was going on holiday, with my parents of course, and we were waiting for the train. My parents suggested I get a magazine or a comic book from the little bookstore on the train platform. So I went in, and saw the Hunter Davies Biography (in Dutch). Being already a Fan(atic) at that age, that's what I wanted, not a comic. Managed to convince my parents, and it has been one of my treasured books ever since. Still in pretty good condition (see today's picture!).

The biography is so good, because it is the only book about the Beatles that was written by a (more ore less) independent writer, who had abundant access to the Beatles themselves. Of course, there's now Anthology (heavily 'edited' by Paula and Yoko), and shelves of books with dubious factual content.

Hunter Davies also wrote it at just the right moment in their career, around the trime of Sgt Pepper. Perhaps at the hight of their powers as musicians and writers (as a group), but already philosophysing about the meaning of it all, and whether money really makes you happy etc.. Also a time when Brian Epstein was still around, and Yoko hadn't appeared yet.

Since then, many books ahve appeared about the Beatles as a group and about John and Paul. I can see clear trends of the 'Paul' team to re-wrtie history in the sense that "Paul was the real rocker in the band", he taught John how to write songs etc.. The "Yoko" team tends to disregard and diminish everything that happened before John met Yoko, and thus Paul and the Batles are irrelevant, and John never really cared that much about them.

So this Hunter Davies book is a refreshing look to re-read really, after all these years of 'spam' !

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k4432fuba784etp/Bookclub%20120101%20Hunter%20Davies%20on%20The%20Beatles.mp3
BDJ has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: Hunter Davies' Beatles Biography
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:09 am 

Have thanks: 3 time
Well although this post is six years old, I'm replying because it pretty much sums up my feeling, having been reading it recently myself. Some interesting things you raise that I'm noticing have tended to have seen some correction in the time since, namely the 'Paul' and 'Yoko' PR that was about.
It seems that a lot of this wasn't so much coming from Paul or Yoko themselves as their acolytes in various forms, (although certainly Yoko farmed a few of them in her time.)

What I've noticed, having been also re-reading 'Many Years From Now' by McCartney and Miles was how Macca put in the disclaimer that he wasn't interested in revisionism but just in bringing some depth to the caricature of himself.
He's reticent about reframing John although you get the feeling that he's well pissed off less about John's posthumous ascendancy over him (which, let's face it, actually was since Paul's own mythical 'death' circa the end of the band) but about Yoko's attempt to define the pre-Yoko John, (something that also inspired his contemporaneous "Flaming Pie" album, which had a subtext of ridiculing Yoko's attempts to say John's famous 'flaming pie' piece was an actual 'vision' rather than a chortle!).
I think this has been undernoted as most want to see Paul as 'taking over' even though he always was the Beatle PR ('the best fucking PR man in the world' as Lennon said).
Macca's basically not having Pre-Yoko John remixed by Yoko!
Also noted, reading through an excellent site of original interviews (at http://www.beatlesinterviews.org), quite a few of which are very funny Lennon/McCartney duo interviews, that Macca's take on John in 'Many Years From Now' accords with John's actuality in such interviews.

What I have also noticed, though, is that Yoko has finally been having a better time of it with her own Beatles/John 'hangovers', is generally, these days, recognised for the important Fluxus artist she had been before entering Beatle-land and is also getting musical acclaim.
Since 2008 she has been noticably 'Paul-positive' and taken time out to finally verify his story (that she'd previously denied) of having orchestrated the John/Yoko reunion.
The Apple projects since George's death have been benefiting from a larger Paul input (maybe even control) and I think Yoko has seen that Paul is genuinely interested in keeping John's end up, so to speak as there is the real risk that HE is being forgotten. I think Paul is far better equipped to represent John in many ways and that Paul has proven time and again his own rep may be important but it's far from being a monomania for him.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:52 pm 

Thanks, that's great, getting a response to this -almost - forgotten post.
Your view is well formulated, and I'm glad that Hunter Davies is still being read.
Whether Yoko has really relented, and given more space to the pre-Yoko John, I'm not so sure. It could be that we're just getting used to it, and so it bothers us less?
Just to check, I went to Johnlennon.com, the official website of John. On the 'image' page of that site are 12 pictures of John Lennon. 6 of the 12 also show Yoko and - by the looks of it, at least 11 of them were taken after 1970, post Beatles. Is that a fair representation of John Lennon's life? The 'biography' section sums it up for me :"But it was only after the breakup of the Beatles in 1970 that the figure the world now recognizes as “John Lennon” truly came into being.". Pretentious, moi?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:55 pm 

And an audiobook version is now available as well!