beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Trouble syncing tracks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:08 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hello all,
I repost here a topic I submitted to the bootleg zone forum, cause I think you people can help me too ;)

I am a drummer and sound engineer, and I wanted to listen to different mixes of beatle songs from a familiar point of view: so I created a Pro Tools session and loaded the various mixes of You Won't See Me, in order to A/B listen them with ease: 2009 remaster of 1965 mono and stereo mixes / RM1 (DESS) / RS1 (DESS Blue Box) / MFSL + UK mono + US mono (DR Ebbett's) / Rockband mogg multitracks.

I was dying to start the listening, but... none of the tracks matched when I tried to line them up and sync them from the beginning!
At the end of the song, where differences are multiplied by the track length, some tracks show even one complete bar of mismatching! Pitch doesn't seem so bad, at least not that audible, but time sure is a problem.

I suspect this difference has to originate from the tape machines running at "random" speed, even if meticulously controlled. In addition to that, the Ebbett's needle-drops are probably affected by the same mechanical issue, this time being the turntable engine. Rockband multitracks are probably sourced from a new digital conversion of the original 4 track tapes (mind, not even the master tapes...they involved another tape machine in the chain), so there you are. My idea is to set some warp markers and time-stretch the tracks with Elastic Audio.

Point is, which track should I take as a reference?
Which is the one that doesn't need to be touched?
I would choose the 2009 remasters, as other tracks involved additional analog transfers that altered the original speed.

Also, what's the best way to edit the tracks? I'm going to go with ElasticAudio Polyphonic algorithm, though Varispeed should be even better if we take in count the inaudible pitch variations, too.

I want to know your respectable opinion, as many of you "chew this bread" everyday!
How do you normally cope with that? Did you ever set a standard, that I can relate to?
Don't want to do a long (and boring!) job for nothing :)

Thanks for your time!
Nick (from Venice, Italy)

Post subject: Re: Trouble syncing tracks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:01 am 

Have thanks: 2 time
this is a problem for me as well. the best solution i was able to find is using adobe audition 3.
place the base track 100% left and the track you want to align to that one 100% right. then use the stretch tool on the right track to get it as close as you can to the left track, for those steps i usually use audacity and then simply set the rate of the right track to get it to line up which would be equal to adjusting tape speed then exporting as flac and importing to adobe audition 3. audition has an automatic phase correction tool where there is an option to select channels both, left, or right. selecting right would only edit the right channel. then there is a check box for align channels and align to center, only use align channels. if your speed adjustment for the right channel was decently accurate the stretch tool should get it nearly perfect. i know it isnt the best way and isnt pro tools but its the only way i've been able to find an automatic alignment.

Post subject: Re: Trouble syncing tracks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:24 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Thanks for the tip!
That's a clever idea, though I'm not sure it's gonna work on syncing the mogg multitracks as well, cause you would need a complete mix to compare with the regular version...

The auto-alignment would be good cause it's sure better to manually check every edit, but it means months of work!