beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Syncing audio problem
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:51 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
I'm currently working on a full-fledged Stars on 45 Beatles remix. Yes, the dreaded 16+ minute disco endevour. I'm using the original Beatles songs.

However, about 3 1/2 minutes into the mix, I'm having a problem syncing the audio of "Ticket To Ride". I got the intro down perfect, but Ringo's drumming seems a little off, and I can't get a straight beat pattern going.

Does anyone know of a DJ software that can correct the tempo of the song. Apparently, Audacity doesn't cut it.

I'd really appreciate it.

DrRobert

Post subject: Re: Syncing audio problem
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
Sony Acid is what you're looking for.
It has a "beat mapping" facility". It reads the beats in all your files, and then when you're using a "computeriesd" fixed tempo beat it should align properly once your tempo is set....or with very minor editing....(assuming the songs you're using don't vary in tempo wildly!).
Acid is the software that most mashers used to use....many now have progressed to Ableton or others, but for a relative beginner, Acid is excellent. It will take you time to get used to using it....don't expect to be producing "the finished article" in 5 minutes! However, once you've sussed it out....well, i've said it before, a 5 year old could use Acid and produce something nice.
There are fully capable trial versions of Acid available..... http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/acidpro .
You should be able to find older versions (non-trial) at torrent sites.
Somehere on the Sony sites you'll also find lots of free sample packs that you''ll find very useful....drum loops etc, that you can use in your mixes. Build up a library, they're invaluable.

Personally i don't use Acid...(LOL)...I used it for a while a couple of years ago, and found it to be pefectly capable.
The first mash ups that i made that i would consider to be "perfect" were made using Acid.
But....i started out using Adobe Audition (well...CoolEdit 2 it's earlier incarnation actually)....and the way it works is different to Acid, so i was always working "backwards"., so i migrated back to Audition.
Audition is a super multi-track Audio editor, but it lacks the beat mapping capabilities of Acid. All my synchronisations are done manually.

So...give Acid a try.
Also, seek help from the guys who know. If you go over to GYBO .... http://www.gybo5.com/index.php?option=c ... a&Itemid=3 you'll not only find some great music, but also great resources.
These guys are the "pro's". They have a huge knowledge base and are very helpful. They should be able to help you with Acid questions and general help.
Good luck.
Andy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:44 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
If you're not wanting to learn a whole new program, you could do things the hard way like me! LOL
See the example below. This is a track i'm currently working on.
It's a mash up of the Fireman's "Sing The Changes" mixed with Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven Is A Place On Earth".
The tracks coloured green are the Fireman multitracks, making the backing track, and the Yellow track is the acapella by Belinda.
The acapella is basically timed to the same tempo as the backing tracks....but i still needed to get the timing spot on so i have had to split the file many times.
In the example the splits are highlighted by the arrows.
No song that was produced before digital mixing will EVER be perfectly timed so even if you get the basic tempo correct, there will still need to be edits made. Sometimes you have to edit at microscopic zoom levels...spitting by the beat...splitting by the vowel....lengthening, shortening.
Once your timing is spot on...then worry about matching keys and pitches....my nightmare.
A little research before you start can help in this matter....finding out if your tracks are compatible!
Your ears are the best judge usually! In this example, even though both songs are in "E"....i had to de-tune Belinda by 0.25% to get her to sound natural to the backing track.
I hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:34 pm 

Have thanks: 41 time
Dr Robert,

Redoing the Stars on 45 is a brilliant idea, and has been attempted before.

Interested to compare your remix with:

http://bdj.podomatic.com/entry/2007-12- ... 7_08-08_00

Did the synching 'on manual', just like MP3J.....

Some syncs were tricky indeed. Obviously the songs which are not in 4/4 rythm pose a challenge. Ticket to Ride is interseting, since Ringo clearly hits his drums AFTER the beat. However, Ticket is just an extreme example, he actually hits slightly after the beat on most (if not all) tracks. This produces the uniue 'Ringo feel' to his tracks. My theory is, that he started this inadvertedly: being left handed, and playing on a right-handed drum kit.

drrobert09 wrote:
I'm currently working on a full-fledged Stars on 45 Beatles remix. Yes, the dreaded 16+ minute disco endevour. I'm using the original Beatles songs.

However, about 3 1/2 minutes into the mix, I'm having a problem syncing the audio of "Ticket To Ride". I got the intro down perfect, but Ringo's drumming seems a little off, and I can't get a straight beat pattern going.

Does anyone know of a DJ software that can correct the tempo of the song. Apparently, Audacity doesn't cut it.

I'd really appreciate it.

DrRobert