beatlesremixers
   Beatles Remixes and Mash Ups
    Register Arcade  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>beatlesremixers</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: When we lost John
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:56 am 

Have thanks: 20 time
I originally included a link to this ( http://www.amazon.com/tag/pop/forum/ref ... ssionsLPIT ) within a response to TjT's "Psychokiller Is Back", but it certainly deserves it's own thread :
React to my tale, sure, but tell yours as well.

Alright . . . . Paul Simon's song "The Late Great Johnny Ace" includes the lyrics
"On a cold December evening
I was walking through the Christmas tide
When a stranger came up and asked me
If I'd heard John Lennon had died"

. . it would stand out as odd ( and disrupt the narrative ) to say "on a freakishly mild December evening", . . but it was !
It was Monday, 12/8/80, when Chapman struck, and the whole weekend leading up to that night I had left an outfit hanging on the inside of my closet door.
I had thought I'd take the bus into the city and start some Christmas shopping.
With "Double Fantasy" having only been out since November 17th, John was very much on my mind . . and on the vest of the outfit I'd picked out for a city excursion I had placed the button that promoted John's previous release ---"Rock n' Roll .. You Should'a Been There !"

Well I didn't end up going, and Monday morning found me heading back to work at Temco Uniforms, where I'd gotten my two younger brothers, Jeff & Jim, jobs as well.
John had been on their minds too of course, and it turns out Jeff had awoken that Monday morn from a dream where he'd landed on the roof of The Dakota and was trying to reach John.
If you believe at all in the "unconscious connection" we're all tapped into . . the zeitgeist even . . then John's passing may have been a big wave approaching the shore that some of us, on some level, felt coming.

As that morning gave way to lunchtime, Jeff urged me to take the rest of the day off and make that trip into the city. "Good idea there !" . . so I did.
I spent most of the afternoon prowling shops in The Village for Xmas gifts one wouldn't find in Jersey malls. Being a collector of obscure cover-versions of Fab-tunes, I'd snatched-up a double album from The Soulful Strings with a version of "Within You, Without You" on it.
By the time evening dusk was falling, I was up in mid-town getting hungry & tired . . I'd been thinking all day that I wanted to go by The Dakota. I'd been thinking it all weekend really, but now it's getting late and I have to work early again tomorrow and . . "Oh my God !, my city-trip outfit is still hanging home and I'm not wearing my "You Should'a Been There !" button !!" . . oh well.

I ended up catching the bus home to Park Ridge, NJ . . . 25 miles away . . and having a nice Monday night dinner and all.
Just before 11 pm, I had headphones on & was listening to the version of "Within You, Without You" when I could see my mother, watching TV in the next room, stand up in reeling shock and summon me . . . . .

Since that major shift in the flow of time, I've often wondered . . between Jeff's dream & my "Should'a Been There" button . . . what if I'd taken the time to head over to The Dakota ?
It would'a been right around the time Chapman got John's autograph and then, according to reports, urged other fans to stick around . . invited them across the street to have coffee and such, while awaiting John's return.
I'm pretty darn gregarious with strangers . . . especially fellow fans milling around a celebrated location during timely times !
I might've been persuaded to hang around, knowing my last bus was around 1 am, and knowing I could maybe meet John & Yoko ?!
What if I'd accepted Chapman's offer to wait with him ?
Would I have increasingly noticed his "underlying motivations" ?
Could I have ended up swaying events ?!?

Sadly, this is not merely some "I'll go back in time and save Lincoln" scenario requiring time-travel.
I was there . . so many of the pieces were already in place . . but I took a different turn when I could've just as easily put one or two further pieces in play.

"Should I Have Been There" ?

Post subject: Re: When we lost John
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
wow....if only eh?
Well in an alternate universe you were there and managed to disarm the unmentionable one.
Can i be in that alternate place please?!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 55 time
Highscores: 1
my story?....i was asleep when the dirty deed was done.
I woke around 7.00am on the Tuesday to hear Dave Lee Travis announcing the news on the radio.
The words "shot and killed" were spoken, but only the word "shot" sunk in at first.
I went off to college as usual, but by 10.00am it was too painful to bear and i returned home to listen to (and tape) the radio....it was lennon everywhere. I remember watching a Lennon tribute show with Tony Wilson, and later, Help!

I also bought all the newspapers, and for weeks later i picked up all the magazine tributes.
The Andy Peebles interview was broadcast shortly afterwards, too, that was so fascinating and tragic.

That day shocked me to the core, looking back, i think it affercted me for months.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:42 am 

In my heart, it can still feel like it was only months ago.

Thanks for sharing back MP,

You cast a little more light on a "related" topic too : I had certainly began to wonder what the general age-spread around here was. You'd seem to be 6 or 7 years younger then me.
Being 55 for a few more months ( there, I've said it ) it frequently blows my widdle mind to have a conversation with an adult-type person of 29 years old, and realize they never breathed the same air as John.
How can this be ?!?
I do not accept this trumped-up myth that people have been born since the 80's !!

I also relate to your numbly tuning into and taping radio . . I must have at least 15 tapes, scanning the stations, and will eventually share a "boil-down' collage I did.
Perhaps as Dec. 8th draws near once again ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:45 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 93 time
I wasn't a Beatles/Lennon fan in those days. That came later for me. LOL, I tell this story, it is sad to say, but I said at the time, "Isn't that the guy who was in the band with Paul McCartney before Wings?" 'Nuff said. I think his murder brought his music to light to me. Then they started playing all kinds of stuff, and that is when I started to listen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:41 am 

Sure...
I could cite all kinds of reasons why John's path was destined.
( a path from 1940 to beyond 2010 btw ).
What 12/8/80 focused & unified among established followers is one thing, but TjT illuminates how that particular event reached many who's attention hadn't been fully captured.
Of course, since then the entry paths to Fab Fandom have been numerous, with new attention-getters like "1", "Love", DVD releases, etc. etc.

I'd bet'cha a few Mash-Ups have helped turn a few fans from casual to crazed as well, by deepening their perceptions ... making them want to know More !